Saturday, March 24, 2012

Dorodango II

Ok, so no one went to research Dorodango.

And if someone did read this, what does this have to do with building?

Well , as I started this blog it was more for "notes and pictures' for reference. However, I believe it will have relevance for my interests in building. The more I understand soil the better.

It starts a bit like this.
At this stage I started to lose interest.

this morning it felt smoother.


then i read more and put on 10 coats of clay dust.

amazingly smooth but I haven't experienced the shine like this pic from the Internet.



It would be too time consuming but it makes me wonder more about clay tiles.

2 comments:

  1. This is great Eric! Totally high jacked Tims project...he dropped the ball on this one(pun intended) I think Facebook swallowed him.

    I feel this has relevance to building..especially the type of material you have available.

    I must now try my own Dorodango. The earth here is a terra-cotta - redish clay. I'm doing an earthen wood fired oven soon. Im trying to figure out how to polish the surface like the ball!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it has relevance to building. I think i will try some plastered walls same way.

      It is alos worthwhile as 'art'. It will be kind of a cool pastime to do with different soils in different parts of the country.

      I want to try some of our reddish clay and black cotton.

      Delete